Monday 17 November 2014

Starting on my GDD

Choosing a font and creating a cover


As I started to progress further with my prototype, concept art and tweaking my level I knew it was time that I began focusing on my game design document which is a crucial part of our BA4 brief. I already had a rough idea of what I wanted to document to look like, colour scheme wise I planned to stick with black and white and possibly different shades of grey to keep with the theme of the game and make sure that the document looked neat and as professional as I can get it.

The first thing I had to get sorted was the different font I would be using throughout the document.
We had been reminded countless times that a font alone can really set the feel of the game we were designing and that we must stick with something that is atheistically pleasing and easy to read as having a overly complicated or unreadable font will put people off. I began by going through the different pre set fonts available in Photoshop and making a list of them, which is the first image seen below. I didn't think any of them really suited the style of my game so I went on the hunt for new downloaded fonts from '1001 free fonts' to see if I could find some new designs. The ones I found and liked are in the second image below. These all seemed far more stylised and less plain compared to the pre set fonts but this did now give me a large amount to choose from.




After downloading a load of new fonts and struggling to choose one, I moved onto creating my game design document's front cover. I had an idea in my head to have a image of Light facing away from the view and looking into the darkness, where, just ahead of it, would be a floating orb and then the title would sit at the top of the page. I did try and attempt this layout but unfortunately as Light has such  a simple design, this positioning really wasn't working well as you only got a vague idea of what the protagonist looked like but, as they are such an important part of the game, I wanted their image to be seen more clearly so I had to think about something else. I then began working on a design that would show Light in the centre of the page but also kept with the simplistic design of my game. The finished result can be seen below with my chosen font.




No comments:

Post a Comment