Sunday 9 November 2014

Continuation of character concept art

Enemy and creature designs

As a continuation of my character concept art I began working on different possible designs for the recurring enemies of the game, Dark's henchmen. The henchmen are identical beings that have been sent out into the darkened forest to snuff out every trace of light that can be found and they began to do this by consuming any floating orbs of light they can find. Light will not be able to see these creatures in the level until the glowing orbs they have eaten gives out a faint light which will make the creature visible for a few seconds before they melt back into the darkness. The henchman are able to inflict damage on Light, three hits is enough to kill the player and bring them back to the most recent save point, but however, If Light is able to inflict 2 hits on the henchmen then they will fade away and leave behind a orb for the player to collect.

The first image below is a sketch sheet I completed with a few rough character designs for Dark's henchmen. I tried lots of different varieties of the character but I wasn't particularly happy with any of them and when I asked for feedback on the designs, I was told that none of them really suited the feel I was trying to give them which I completely agreed with, there was just something not right with them.  After a drawing rest period I went back to my designs and decided to give drawing something digitally instead to see if I could come up with a better concept. The second image below is my final design which I feel a lot happier about and I think it suits the style of my game a lot better than my previous designs did.





Also throughout the different levels, there will be a bonus task for player to complete which is completely optional. The extra bonus will be for the Light to find the frightened creature hidden somewhere in the level. This is simply added in as a extra task for the player to complete but also securing the representation of hope that Light brings. Below are some concept drawings of what some of the creatures will look like.



No comments:

Post a Comment