Wednesday 5 November 2014

Creating concept art for my game

Focusing on the main characters and objects


After creating a traditionally drawn Character development sheet for Light I decided it was time to move onto creating my final design digitally as concept art is important to include in the GDD that we will need to create and thus far I didn't really have anything to add into it so I knew it was time to get working on some character and environment designs.

I knew I wanted my sprite, when in game, to be idle, which means that they will have a quarter turn to them instead of facing dead on or completely to the side. Baring this in mind I started to draw out the character design that I liked the most for Light using Photoshop. I made sure that I stuck to the sketch I completed on the character sheet and only tweaked it a little to neaten up the design. Colour wise I knew that I wouldn't Light to be a pure white colour that I wanted it to remain simple so It could be changed in the future If necessary. I was thinking about adding shading in certain areas of the design to show emphases on the glow given off but I am not too sure about this element at the moment as I want the game to remain simplistic. The first image below is the finished result.




After completing this piece I knew it was important for me to design the main 'enemy' or antagonist of the game, Dark. As I was already on Photoshop I decided to stick with working digitally and started drawing out the new design. I really wanted to keep Dark and Light looking fairly similar as they were once a balanced team and are the same sort of entity so they wouldn't look too different appearance wise. I also wanted Dark to look fairly 'cute' as well, just with a angry personality as Dark is meant to represent someone who is frustrated, annoyed and lonely and not born malicious so I didn't want a 'evil' looking design. The finished design can be seen below.



 Below is the completed designs of the different glowing orbs that Light will come across in each level of my game. As there are different types of orb for Light to interact with, I needed to make sure I drew them out for sizing purposes and to make sure they did look vaguely different from each other. I made sure that they stuck to the simplistic colour scheme and design I am aiming for the overall game, shading is still a option but I am a little but dubious about adding that in. 




No comments:

Post a Comment