Tuesday 4 November 2014

Thinking about gameplay and scripting

The mechanics of my game


As I start to begin my concept art and begin to work on producing my games prototype, I started to think about the part of the project that I am struggling with the most which is core mechanics that would be included in the game. These included, the type of game I am creating, what the core actions my main protagonist would complete and what scripting these would included.
Overall I am not too strong on the digital modelling as a whole and scripting, plus unity, are both completely new to me so they are brand new things that I have to learn.


After thinking my game concept through completely I decided that it is a Exploration and discovery game as Light has to wander through the dark and uncover the land in front of them, as well as collecting scattered orbs and saving lost creatures. I then thought it would be a good idea to break down my game bit by bit so I can focus on what I need to design for my GDD and script for my prototype.



Game breakdown


Levels - The levels will start off as fairly basically with only a few objects to avoid and collect, allowing the player to get comfortable with the gameplay and will progressively become more difficult, adding enemies for the player to fight and the levels getting longer, thus having more to try and remember.


Points - Points come in the from of orbs and are scattered around the darkened levels, softly giving out a warm glow. There will be a certain amount of points in the level, for example 10, and you will have to get more than 5 to be able to progress to the next level.


Bonus - There is one hidden bonus in each of the level as this is a cowering creature. When Light travels around the level, their will be an optional goal and that is to try and find the forest creature hidden in the darkness. Saving them isn't necessary but if you do choose to it will help bring the feel of hope across in the game.


After thinking about the key core parts of my game, mechanics wise and before I starting any scripting and coding, I roughly broke down my main actions throughout the game so I knew what I would be able to search for code wise.  


1. Walking - Light walks around the level via walking. I decided on this as I wanted Light's character to be portrayed as calming and I think having them running around would completely defeat the purpose of this. I believe that by adding in a pre set 2D character camera that this function should be included already but will just slide the image along the level. To make Light LOOK like they are walking, I would have to create a sprite and then add in new frames and scrip a walking sequence.


2. Jumping - To help Light discover their terrain and journey through the level they will have to be able to jump. Jumping will help the player get to higher levels and progress through the mystical forest. Light will also come across certain plants or objects that have to be avoided which can also be done by jumping. This is action is also something that I believe is available using the 2D character camera but would have to have more frames added to a sprite to make it look like they are jumping.


3. Absorbing - Light will come across different types of glowing orbs throughout the darkened level that they will have to either collect or interact with. They will be absorbed into the character and disappear, leaving whatever their effect is behind. This should be simple enough to do and shouldn't need a lot of coding.


4. Enemy interaction - When Light comes across an enemy in the level there will be different interactions that take place. For example, Light will only attack an enemy out of self defence so, when an enemy attacks Light by swiping at them, Light will be able to shoot out small beams of glow that, after 3 hits, will kill the enemy. But if the enemy hits YOU three times then Light will die and re spawn at the latest check point. Scripting this is going to be a little difficult but I should be able to work it out by looking at the level that my classes tutor, George, created.


No comments:

Post a Comment