Sunday 23 November 2014

Extra details about GLOW

Thinking about the music and audio used in game

For another part of our games design document we can mention what sort of music or audio we had in mind for our game or what sound effects we would want to use. I had already decided very early on in the process of character designing that as well as my characters not having genders, they wouldn't speak throughout the entirety of the game. I wanted to give this effect to Light and Dark as it allows the player to envision the character how they like and almost make them their own.

Sound effects wise I knew I wanted little pieces of sound to give off when Light interacted with certain objects so, for example, if Light picked up an orb it would make a shimmering sort of noise, or if they touched a toxic mushroom it would make a squelching noise. To be honest it is rather hard to explain in written terms so I hope that I am making sense.

For the music of GLOW I knew I wanted to stick to a classical composition rather than a modern piece as I wanted my game to have a calming feel to it and I thought something too upbeat and fast paced might change the mood of the game completely. I listened to a few pieces I already knew and also had a browse to see if I could find any new classical music that I found soothing to listen to and that I thought would work nicely with the mood I was trying to set. A few examples of what I found are in videos below. 







Out of all the pieces I listened to, I really favoured all the ones that were in a music box style. There was something quiet simple and calm about it but also mixed with ever so slightly sharper tones than the piano which I really enjoyed listening to. Also whenever I hear a piece of music from a music box It always sounds quite childlike and sweet which is an element I would love to try and bring to my game. I decided to have a little look into free audio files to see if I could find anything that was remotely similar to the Studio Ghibli music box tracks but unfortunately I couldn't seem to find anything longer than 20 seconds or of any good quality.

 The only one I did manage to stumble across that I thought would suit my game is the track below. As it is a free audio file I may look into downloading it and putting it in my misc folder for submission once I've read the terms and agreements of the file.




No comments:

Post a Comment