Friday 15 January 2016

Model making classes

Creating a human figure out of wax


So earlier today I went to the first session out of new model making classes we have been given were we will have the opportunity to sculpt a human body model out of wax. This just a very quick post about what it was like in the session and what I thought of it. I was really excited about attending these classes I am really keen to try and improve my anatomy skills, as there is some room for improvement at the moment, and I am really happy to say that the session was brilliant. 

We started off with a copper wire base each that our tutor Ron had made for all of us and were taught all about how we would be applying the wax and exactly what temperature the wax needed to be kept at in order to stick to the wire and hold it's shape which was really good to know in case we wanted to attempt something like this ourselves at home. Each table was given its own sculpting tools and apparatus and also, a plastic model of a femur bone, which was what we were going to be modelling first. Having the plastic model there as an example was really helpful as we were able to see exactly how it''s shape worked and how we would need to model the wax. Our tutor made sure we went through stages, little bits at a time, so that we built up the bone slowly and learnt what it did. 


the Femur bone


So in today sessions we complete making two femur bones, one for each leg, and in the next session we will complete the same process, just with a different part of the body, and will build it up bit by bit. So far I am really happy with attending these sessions. It is so nice doing something more hands on for a change as most of our work is done digitally so I am looking forward to going again next week. I will try to upload some photos of my model as I go along so I can some images of it's progression from start to finish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment