Tuesday 26 January 2016

Continuing with BA3b

Thinking about the art style of my characters 



Now that I am settled back at university, have had a few lectures and a little bit of time off after handing in BA3a I thought it would be a good idea to get cracking on the next part of my project. This half is going to focusing much less on researching and more on things like drawing and getting my design work done, so essentially this is the more creative half of my final year. However the entire term isn't just going to be filled with my drawing, I will do little bits of information gathering scattered throughout my project if I feel it is necessary or I lose motivation.

So essentially I know I need to start back where I had left off previously which was me having a play around with possible art styles for my candy based characters. I have posted the collection of possible art styles I drew out in BA3a below as so refresh my mind as to what I was doing last and where I can go from here. Looking back on these designs I am certainly leaning towards the look of the characters down at the bottom left of the page as they have the sort of style elements I am looking for in my characters as they are very expressive looking and that is one of the things I am trying to achieve with this project. But obviously this is just a starting point so I need to develop my chosen style from here until I find something I am comfortable with, I wont spend too long on this thought as I will end up going off track and wont make any actual progress.




My last piece of design work from BA3a




I know roughly what kind of art style I am hoping to achieve for candy based designs as it is one I feel very comfortable with producing and really enjoy drawing and that is expressive looking characters that have a mixture of both a cartoon and anime style. Anime in particular is a huge influence on my artwork as I have been watching it for years and am absolutely obsessed with it. I have always found joy in watching these colour Japanese cartoons and am hoping that I will be able to incorporate the use of expression and kooky character designs that can be found in anime into my own work. I decided that before I started drawing anything new that I should have a look back at some of my favourite anime shows for a little design inspiration and so that it would hopefully give me the push I need to expand my design ideas. I have lost count of how many anime shows I have actually watched by most of the ones I usually go for are character centric and colourful so these are great influences for my design ideas. I have popped a couple of mood boards below of some of the different shows I have watched and take a lot of inspiration from.







I think using anime as a influence will also really come it handy when it comes to me drawing my characters faces and their body language as usually, in a lot of genres of anime, the characters have really fantastic reactions to things which are usually a little over the top but they help make the character more expressive which I have always loved so that is something I could look at later on in my project. I am honestly really looking forward to designing my candy inspired characters as I can already visualise basically how I want them to look so now I just need to get my design ideas down on paper which is the next step I need to move onto now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment