Monday 11 January 2016

Getting back into the swing of things

New anatomy classes and lectures 


So now that BA3a is all handed in and finished all we can really do now is have a little breather after the mad rush that was the Christmas break and wait for our feedback. It is a little nerve wrecking now that we are in the waiting stage but luckily we get our results back sometime this week so there isn't a lot of waiting around to do. Luckily for us though there are some new classes that have been added to our schedules which will help keep our minds occupied during this stressful time. Prier to our previous requests which were made in our last term by a lot of the 2D students that we asking for more skilled based lessons and tutorials we have finally been given a chance to learn about one of the most important things for a character artist to know, anatomy.

There are new lectures every Monday that will be about breaking down the human body bit by bit and learning about every single little thing that each bone and muscle does and how it helps that makes the body move. This something that I have always wanted to learn about as I think it would be really beneficial for my character designs, anatomy is something I can struggle with, but I didn't really know where to start so I am really excited about the prospect of learning all of this. As well as lectures every week we will also be having workshops, which we can sign up to, that will be all about crafting a model of a human body, piece by piece, out of wax. This will allow us to see how each bone in the body looks like and what it's shape is like and how it moves which is all really useful information for us to be able to incorporate into our designs work. So these are fantastic opportunities for the tutors to have laid out for us and I soon as I found out about them I signed up immediately.



An example of the sort of thing we will be studying


So earlier today we had the first session of our series of anatomy lectures and I am pleased to say it was really really interesting. Our lecturer, Ron Spriggs, has a incredible knowledge on human anatomy and how each bit functions and so he is going to be able to take us through a different part the human body each week so that, piece by piece we will learn how it all functions. This week, as it was a introductory session, he took us through everything very briefly so that we got a general overview of how different main chunks of the body functions and then, in the weeks to come, he will zero in on certain sections and go into them more in-depth. Thankfully I took some notes as it was a lot of information to take in that I could have easily forgotten the next day so I will be able to look back over them if need be. Fair warning, the spelling in my notes may not be fantastic, some of the words were a bit of a mouthful to say, let alone write.








Although it did make me feel a little bit queasy on some occasions, I really enjoyed the first one of these anatomy lectures and I am looking forward to going to the ones in the future. I probably wont post every single time I have been to a lecture as a lot of it will probably be quite similar but if anything worth putting on my blog comes up then obviously I will. I am now also really interested to see what the model making class will be like on Friday and what exactly our human models will end up looking like when they are completed. But for now I just need to read over the notes I made in this lecture and wait around for my BA3a results.


No comments:

Post a Comment