Wednesday 14 May 2014

Working in UDK

The finished product

UDK was definitely a massive challenge and probably one of the hardest parts of the project so far for me. Even though I looked into different ways to try and get the grips with this software, such as watching tutorials on YouTube, reading step by step guides and asking my peers about it, I still found the process difficult to wrap my head round.

I was able to import everything I needed fairly easily, my textures and models were no problem at all due to all the research and notes I had taken during the lectures but as I started to move around my viewport and look at my model up-close, I started to find odd issues with my piece. There were places where my model's structure had been broken, causing it to have gaps and breaks throughout it, but this was only in a few areas such as the glass and loops on the bridge. Once talking to my tutor, he did a lot of typing and editing and managed to sort it out, only for it to revert back to the damaged piece one I re opened the file at home. This was a really frustrating but I didn't really have time to sort it out as I knew I had to move onto my video so I had to just do the best I could and get on with the rest of my work.

I had a little look at a screen captor software called 'Camtasia' after one of my peer's suggested it to me. I watched a video before hand just to get he basics what I would need to before I actually did it. Side note, the narrator in this video is very unprofessional and immature would rather annoyed me as I was watching it but unfortunately this was the most useful tutorials I could find so it had to do. I managed to use this software to create my flythrough, which was then edited on 'Windows movie maker' by cutting and replacing my clips, adding transitions, text and audio.





Bellow are screenshots from UDK which I took after completing the importing and re applying my textures, process. Overall I would say that I am not 100% happy with how my work turned out in UDK, due to that fact that it has ALOT of issues with it and also the water doesn't look great at all but it was the best I could come up with. I think working in UDK has made my appreciate how brilliant Maya is and how stunning the renders are it produces, I really do prefer the renders and water I did in Maya to the final produced piece in a game engine which is a little disappointing but honestly how I feel. The video could have also been a little crispier but overall I am pretty pleased with that as video editing is a process I enjoy to do, I find it relaxing.











No comments:

Post a Comment