Thursday 8 May 2014

Unable to complete my orignal idea

A disappointing realisation

From the beginning of this project, when we first found out the theme and submission criteria, I knew what kind of castle I wanted to do. Something unique and different that would stand out from the others, an underwater castle. It was a concept I had set my heart on designing and was pretty excited about the prospect of creating it, adding in the different dynamics to make it work and, over all, seeing what it would look like. I researched into the different steps and techniques it would take to make a underwater level as I knew it was possible to do and I was relieved to find out that it was something that the game engine UDK could produce.

But as I have progressed further into this project and worked out what my capabilities are, I started to have doubts about whether my work was going to turn out how I wanted it to. But I continued to plug on, spending a lot of my time modelling and UV mapping and texturing but as I soon started to pick up on how much I was struggling with these simple aspects, I realised that I had bitten off more than I could chew. Creating something as complex as a underwater scene is far to difficult and confusing for someone at my level, a beginner, and I finally accepted that it was a design I wasn't going to be able to do. It did frustrate me a little but there wasn't really anything I could do about it, accept from adapt my idea and come up with a slightly different concept.


I knew that I had to come up with something different now that having a castle underwater was no longer a option, but didn't want to follow the path of everyone else and do one on land. I soon thought up an idea which would allow me to keep everything so far and still keep a water element. My idea now was to have the sea rock emerging from the water, which the castle still placed on top. It wasn't as creative as my fist idea but it was better than nothing so I started working on it immediately. After being shown how to create a really spectacular looking water plan in Maya by one of my fellow students, I started work on adapting my design to fit my new expectations. The images bellow are what I was able to produce.








No comments:

Post a Comment