Friday 9 May 2014

Continuing with my new concept

Moving onto bump mapping


The next stage in the modelling progress was making sure all my textures were mapped and ready for the render shots. This was a process I was already fairly comfortable with doing as I had written a whole page of notes about it in the tutorial we had written, showing me how to do each map, step by step. I also decided to have a little look at some tutorial videos too, just so I was completely sure on what I was doing before I attempted anything and in case I could pick up any extra tips or shortcuts that I didn't know about yet.







The process all seemed to be fairly simple from the videos I had watched so I decided to give it a go myself. My first attempt did go a little wrong though as I was putting far to much detail into my normal and specular maps, making everything look way to defined and jagged. This was something I was able to sort out the second time around as I didn't rush through the process this time around, making sure I was concentrating on each separate map to make sure they turned out nicely.

What I started to do after this was just have a little experiment with all my different materials, making sure that whatever I added, whether is was a specular or height map, that it looked good when it was rendered. This was basically just a process of a little bit of editing if the map didn't look good on the model and sorting it out, before re applying it. The changes weren't ever anything this big, always just a tiny little tweak here and there. Below are a collection of images now showing what my castle looks like when it is rendered and mapped, also with a added sky texture which I  added to make the scene look more effective.

Overall I am really pleased with how my model is looking! It has improved so much from my original concept and sketches and I think it is now looking really effective that the maps and water have been added.


 






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment