Monday 24 March 2014

Research into my idea

Underwater levels in video games

To continue my research on the underwater level I wanted to create, I needed to make sure that my idea would be do able so I decided to have a look into different videos that have previously used a level that caused you to be submerged in the ocean. Luckily I already knew of two video games that I actually owned that would be good examples to look into. I wanted to do this research as I needed to see how other people had modelled an environment such as this.


Tomb Raider Underworld

The first is game I choose was 'Tomb Raider Underworld' as I have been a fan of the series for a long time now and  I knew that right in the beginning of this particular game Lara Croft, the main protagonist is exploring the Mediterranean sea for 'The Path to Avalon' which is a underwater ruin. In this level you are able to swim around a large map as objects such as rocks and sharks loom out of the murky water towards you and you discover hidden treasures. The ocean portrayed here is  quite dark and used basic colouring but still looks effective and make the seen more mysterious.

 



Alice Madness Returns

The second game is one that I keep mentioning over and over again, which is mainly because it is one of my favourite games and it just has so many references in it that I love to include in my work. The game is 'Alice Madness Returns' and during a large chunk of the it, Alice is driven deeper and deeper into her madness and she enters a imaginary underwater world. Unlike 'Tomb Raider' where you can explore the surface above and below the water, this level is strictly kept beneath the waves. Also this game has far more colourful and eye catching models and characters in a cartoonish style which means that it is possible to create two different styles of underwater environment.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment