Saturday 29 March 2014

Coming up with a concept

My design ideas

As I have completed a large chunk of my research I decided to move onto concepting my castle. This is a key part of the 3D process as if I don't have a concept or rough idea in my head I am going to be in a bit of trouble. I have had a few days now where I have been struggling to come up design that would suit the theme I have chosen, this is mainly because I am feeling a little stressed by the amount of work I have to get done before the deadline. I am very new to doing any 3D work and I have no experience with games engines and know little about them, so this project is already a bit of a challenge for me. I have also chosen a theme that I don't believe anyone else is doing so I have a lot more work to get done and I am already starting to feel the pressure a bit.

To try and get my creative ideas following I decided to have a look back through all the mood boards I had created, picking out different images that are related to any design ideas I have had. Below I have added all the pictures I have chosen to work from and have written why.


Image 1: This first image is of Theed Palace which is from the series 'Star Wars'. The whole building is animated and is only ever used in a couple of scenes. I love the aspect of having cylinder shaped buildings with rounded tops as it just more interesting than just having square structures. I also like the size of this palace and how built up It is. These are elements I am keen to include in my design.

Image 2: The element I like in this image is the bridge. It is simple and effective at the same time and I love the circular shapes in the support structures below so this is something that will probably creep into my design ideas.

Image 3: This photo is one of the ones I took myself on my little photography trip. I was interested in the style of this part of the cathedral as to me it stood out from the rest of it. Lucky for me one of my classmates walked into the shot so now I can use this image for scaling if I need to.

Image 4: I simply added this image as I liked how the castle was laid, being placed on a piece of sea rock, hidden in a cavern somewhere. I also found the light positioning and effect in the image useful as well.

Image 5 and 6: These photographs of the ocean floor are very important to have for when I am thinking about the environment I want my castle to be in and I think a simple sea floor with coral rocks would work nicely and hopefully won't be too difficult to model.











No comments:

Post a Comment