Friday 31 October 2014

Thinking about the art style for my game

First rough concept 

After having a clear idea for what my game was going to be and writing about each aspect in a good amount of detail, I decided it was time to move on to what the art style would be for game. I had a pretty clear idea in my head since I starting thinking up my game concept of what I wanted my style to be. I was fixed on it being in a Black and white colour scheme and for it to be a 2D side scroller as I knew it would fit well with my game idea and that other games that have gone with this theme have been successful which I included in my research mood boards for a bit of inspiration. These games were, 'Darklings', 'Limbo', and 'Contre Jour', which can be seen in the images below.






 Art style wise I could that 'Darklings' had fairly similar characters designs to what I had been thinking up so I knew it was important to try and avoid their style and try to make the characters I am designing not too similar. I had a clear idea in my head that I wanted to create 'cute' characters in a  soft and appealing cartoon art style to keep my game simple and give it a relaxed feeling to it.
I decided a good way for me to get a vaguely rough idea of what I wanted my main character, Light to look like, it would use the software 'Alchemy' which I actually used for BA2 to produce fluid and creative silhouettes and I really like how bizarre the programme was as it would create images that you wouldn't have been able to think of without it.

My aim was to create a design idea that I have had stuck in my head since I started coming up with my concept and try to see how it would look in a black and white style. The first image below is the finished rough concept for my character Light. I wanted the design to be very simplistic and not too complex so that it would work well in a 2D side scrolling game using and to use white as the main block colour to help represent the glowing entity. Below this design is a example of one of the small orbs that would be found in the game which I tried to give a similar feel to as I did with light.

These are obviously very early concepts at the moment but now that I have a idea of what I want to do I will be able to draw out some more sketches of my design ideas and begin to build up my game level piece by piece. 





No comments:

Post a Comment