Thursday 16 October 2014

Learning the very basics of Unity

Session 1

We had the first workshop of the new term previously and this session was focusing on the programme we would be using the create our game's prototype. I was software I had never heard of before called 'Unity' which is used to import game asset into a engine to be able to create a developed and working game, similar to that of UDK. Unity is also capable of not only creating 3D games, but 2D ones too so it would be perfect for making a side scroller platform game.


When you open unity up, it looks like the image below. It's interface is actually pretty simple and clean looking compared to other pieces of software I have had to use through out my course which just has loads of tabs and writing scattered everywhere but even so I made sure that I made my self step by step instructions on everything George told us otherwise I knew I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. 



Once we had a good look round at all of the opinions Unity had to offer we were then taught how to complete and create very simple modelling tasks that would help up understand the basics. Thankfully I found that Unity is very similar to Maya but a hell of a lot easier to work with as I was able to pick up how to do things a lot quicker. We were taught firstly how to create objects such as the sphere, plane and box seen in the picture above which is what we need to know to be able to start blocking out our prototype level.




After we created our basic models and placed them in the level, we then learnt how to add in other elements that would help build up our game. At the moment we were focusing on a 3D based game so we had to learn how to create the different ways that a 3D game could be played, for example first person or third person perspective. In the first image you can see that cylindrical looking shape on the right, this is the first person camera that we were taught how to add so, when I change the view port to game mode, I am able to use this camera to run around the my level in a first person view which is the second image out of the two above.

We were also taught how to import a pre made 3D game character that has already been completely animated with run, walk and jump cycles so we would be able to see how a third person view could be achieved if this was the sort of concept we were going with.




The next element we focused on was how to add textures into our environment which isn't necessarily essential for the prototype but it was important to know how to do anyway. The process is fairly simple to be honest and I was able to put some textures I found from Google on the objects which would obviously look for more effective if they were properly UV mapped but luckily as we are only prototyping we won't have to do that aspect of modelling.




Once we had looked at the very basics of making a simple 3D game using Unity, we then moved onto how a 2D level could be created. So basically I kept the 3D models I had had made in the level and then, when I pressed the 2D bottom at the top of the screen it changes my view port in a side scrolling looking level as you can see in the images above. So basically the idea is that you make flat shapes and then lay out in to build up your level if you want it to stay two dimensional but, if you model 3D shapes, you can have both a mixture of 2D and 3D so for example you could have a sprite running around a three dimensional level if you wanted.

Above is a very rough example of a the two dimensional level I made in class as we were being taught, unfortunately I am a little rubbish at Photoshop so I wasn't sure how to get rid of the white in the background so that is something I will have to work on.


After having this tutorial I am more than certain that I want to work on creating a 2D level. I found the creation process fairly easy to work with and I believe that two dimensional designs are really going to suit my concept well. Now I need to start researching into Unity tutorials and demo videos for extra research to make sure that my prototype is as good as it can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment