Wednesday 22 October 2014

Roughly creating a 2D side scrolling level

Session 2

For our second session in unity we were introduced to the new and improved 2D side scrolling game that our tutor George had developed and created in Unity. It was similar to the level we looked at in our last session but he had tweaked it's coding and structure a little so it had become a fully working game environment.

We were then told that we must rearrange to level to create our own version of the game, creating a new layout and different placement of all the little objects scattered throughout the level. When we were satisfied with it would had to get other members of the class to play our game, give critical feedback and then we had to edit it. Unfortunately no one in the class really got to that stage as we all got a little wrapped up in editing the level as, I have to say, it was a lot of fun.



Above is a 2D and 3D view of what my edited game ended up looking like after the session ended. I began with moving all of the long rectangular blocks around that were the border and platforms in the level to build up my own pathway for the sprite to move around. I wanted to keep it fairly simple but, also add in a few difficult parts for the player here and there so that it was too easy, this was achieved by adding in jumps that the character could only just make, and a large amount of the deadly spikes that, when the sprite touches, causes the character to immediately lose all their health. I also scattered a few point boxes around the game to guide the player through the level to reach the overall goal.

One the rough layout was completed I was then able to start changing the design from the neutral grey colour it was before. I knew that the chosen sprite was supposed to be a miner due to the light on his helmet so I went off of this and build in a plane that I moved behind the scene, using 3D mode, and added a seamless rock texture on top to give the effect that the character was underground. I then went about changing the colour of the rectangles to a muddy brown to help give a clear border and to block out the level and show the player knew which way to go. I made sure to darken the background and change the intensity on certain objects that the player had to look out for, such as the point blocks, time blocks and spikes. This was so the player could see them clearly when progressing through the level. I did want to do a few creating lighting effects to make it seem like the character was travelling by torch light but I did have a little trouble with this and ran out of time before I could do anything. 




Overall I thought this was a interesting exercise and I found being able to mess around with a pre made level to be a lot of fun but the only reason it works so well is because all the coding was done for us which was a bit of a pain as I really wanted to know how to make different objects do knew things but as we haven't been taught any coding yet I didn't know how to do this. Coding is a crucial part of the game creation process so I really hope that we learn about it soon as I am eager to to know how to use it properly so I could possibly start making my own games at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment