Wednesday 8 October 2014

Introduction to BA4

Overview and opinions of the first project 

On my return back to university in my first class of the new year my group and I were immediately introduced to the new project. I had a vague idea of what work we were going to be expected to produce due to skim reading through the brief on the VLE, but this short lecture gave as a very brief insight into what the new project would be.

Originally the project was planned to be a group exercise which I was a tad apprehensive about as I know how most group projects usually pan out but it decided that his part of the project was removed and it would remain as a solo piece of work which I felt a little more comfortable with.
Overall it was explained to us that our project would be to create a GDB (Games design brief) of a game concept of our choice, then create a rough prototype of the game and finally give a 10 minute presentation about your design. I immediately came to the conclusion that this is A LOT of work to get done in a 8 week period and that I would have to push myself more than I did last year as well as working at a fast pace to get everything finished before deadline.


I have never seen or worked on a GDB before, all I really know is that is a detailed piece of documentation that contains the complete structure and concept of a game in production aka a story, characters, designs, props, ect. Learning how to create this detailed plan will be a brand new challenge for me to get to grips with and it is crucial that I do. When it comes to the prototype I need to remember that it doesn't have to be a full and complete piece, just a rough but understand piece that people can navigate around to help sell the game. I could experiment with blocking things out in 3D or maybe even have a go at flash player if I decided to stick to more of a 2D style.
As for the presentation, I feel far more comfortable with the thought of discussing my idea's for a large amount of time due to the previous project we worked on which also included presenting my ideas and concepts to he tutors.

 So overall I AM feeling very nervous about the amount of work I have to produce in such a short space of time but I am also looking forward to trying to push myself and improve from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment