Saturday 9 May 2015

Influence for my design process

Looking at some different art books


Now that I had written down my ideas for each of the future situations I was focusing on and had created mood boards on each theme for research purposes and to help influence my work I knew it was time to move onto actually creating my art work but before I could get started I needed to think about the type of work I was going to make. I knew it would going to be doing character art but I needed to think about the different types of designs that entails, facial expressions, clothing concepts, different hairstyles ect, this one job covers a lot of ground so I needed to make sure I was thinking about including a piece of each of these in my project in order to get a good idea of what the work flow is like for a 2D character artist.

But before I started to get my own designs down I thought it would be good to look at some examples of professional character art to make sure what I was going to be doing would be on the right track. My classmate luckily owns a lot of different art books such as the one for the 'Borderlands' game and the movie 'The Hobbit' and they kindly let me have a read through them for some creative inspiration. Each book had a different stylised interpretation of character art so I was able to see some good variety in the design process and also see some really nice art styles. One of my favourite art styles I saw from their collection of books was from the 'Mass Effect' concept art book which was packed full of really nice character sketches and paintings. I scanned in one of the pages, which can be seen below, as I really liked how the characters expressions were drawn and I thought it would be some good art inspiration and something I could try to replicate in my own designs




A page from the 'Mass Effect' concept art book



No comments:

Post a Comment