Thursday 21 May 2015

Finishing off my design work

My final piece 



So after completing my clothing and colour iterations for my two future character designs I knew it was time to start thinking about the final pieces I wanted to produce. Unfortunately due to running out of time on this project I knew I was only going to be able to produce one rough design instead of two fairly polished ones like I had planned for which is really disappointing but I just had to work with what time I had. So as our project is all about the deeper meaning behind the work we have produced and how is effects the viewer I decided to choose the design that I know is going to have more of a emotional response for people which was the young flood survivor. The reason for this was yes the cybernetic girl may show a really advanced and cool future that mankind wants to head towards but I think that people also need to realise that this future may not even happen is global warming takes place and it is something that we need to focus on right now before it gets out of hand so I believed that focusing on this character as a final piece would have the best results and certainly show the link the the meaning behind my project work.  

I decided that I needed to keep working in Photoshop throughout this project and even though I am not very comfortable with the software yet I wanted to press forward with it as I know I am slowly improving with each piece I complete with it. So I decided to go to the whole hog as it were as start with actually sketching straight into Photoshop which is something that has never had very good results for me before but I wanted to give it another go this time around. Luckily, from looking at a reference for the pose I was able to create a quick sketch of my character, which I am actually pretty proud of because sometime I struggle drawing dynamic poses and then I was able to think about basic things such as where he would be and what the environment would look like around him. Admittedly building up the image's line art and them moving into colour took a very long time, longer than it probably should have because I am still getting used to the layout and tools in Photoshop but hopefully If I just keep practising with it in the future I will slowly improve. 

Usually I don't include backgrounds in my work so getting the geometry and perspective right for the building was a little difficult but I think it worked out well in the end and helped set the scene a little better. I am really disappointed that I wasn't able to add any shading, lighting effects or details on the buildings or water in this piece but I simply ran out of time by the end of so there wasn't a lot else I could do but to be fair overall I am pretty happy with it considering it is my first Photoshop piece. 

The final image can be seen below 







No comments:

Post a Comment