Tuesday 6 January 2015

Focusing on two possible Art Tests

Character Concept Art Test

I thought I would start by looking at the Art Test that I immediately warmed to and felt most comfortable with when I read the description of what needed to be completed. Drawing characters, whether they are my own design or just fan art, is something that I enjoy to do and end up drawing frequently so it is an area I feel confident in. It is also the area that I would like to go into in the industry in the future. Although I wouldn't just be breezing by with this test and it will be a way to test my skills due to the fact that my art style is very stylised and cartoony and the character design in the later versions of Speedball which I am certain we will be focusing on, looks realistic. I will have to challenge myself to draw characters to look more realistic to make sure my designs suit 2K games style of game.  

The reason I was also interested in this Art Test is because it included elements that we were asked to produce in our previous project BA1 so I am already experienced in creating thumbnails, sketches, a character sheet and a final piece which are all elements that are included in this test. I think this makes me more confident to work on this test as than others as I know I enjoyed completing BA1 so I am sure I can have fun with this one too.





Concept Pre-Visualisation Test

As well as looking at something that I knew I would be comfortable with completing, I am also considering stepping out my comfort zone and trying something a little different. The Concept Pre-Visualisation Test in a 2D environment based brief where we are asked to create three finished pieces of concept art of a city that would be found in the video game Fable. A big part of this brief  includes drawing the buildings that would be found in the city and I am not very strong with perspective or designing environments but choosing this test would give me an opportunity to push myself to draw something that I usually don't and to hopefully to improve in the area.

One of the things that is pushing my to try this Art Test is the style of the game Fable. It's concept art and designs are just beautiful and have a slightly unrealistic feel to them which I really like about it. Also the brief says we are allowed to add our own creative flair which means it is far more lenient in design work than the Character Concept Art Test is which means I would be able to add a little bit of my own style to the environments.





So far I am rather fifty fifty with both of the tests and I am not too sure which one to go with. My plan of action now is to do a little research into both of the games that the Tests are based around which should be able to sway my opinion of which one I want to work on. I also believe asking my tutors for advise would be helpful to see what they think would be better suited for me this time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment