Thursday 8 January 2015

Personal work

A video game inspired piece  


Recently and over the winter break I had been suffering from a bit of a art block which has been rather irritating as I really wanted to get some good work done. So instead I decided to focus on playing the new game I got at Christmas, partly for game research purposes but also because it had been recommend to me time and time again and looked fantastic. The game was Dragon Age Origins, the first in a series of 3 fantasy role playing games developed by Bioware and published by Electronic arts. As I haven't played very many games compared to other students of my course I thought it would be important for me to try out new games to get more knowledge on the subject and expand my library.

After a few hours of playing the game I was instantly hooked. Its game play and art style is very similar to that of the more recent video game Skyrim which I have previously played and enjoyed. Although I had never played a game which had a role playing theme so this was a new experience for me and I have to say that I really enjoyed this element as it made the character you play as feel very personal as you can choose (from a list of options) of what you want them to say. Another element that made the character feel this way was that you were able to customise and edit the avatar at the beginning of the game, changing their appearance such as hair style, facial structure, eye colour ect. This allowed an element of personalisation to the game and made you curious to see how 'your' characters story would grow.

As the game progressed I became more attached to the character as I felt she had a bit of personal flair to her. Finally, with new found inspiration I was able to get a drawing down and turn it into a finished piece which I am rather happy with, Below is the drawing of my Dragon Age Origins character called Elika Cousland.





No comments:

Post a Comment