Saturday 24 October 2015

The beginning of my research

Purchasing some animated movie art books



So this year as I am hoping to be able to produce a mini art book in PDF form for my studio work project. It is going to be quite a task but I think if it is done well it will end up looking really nice and will be a great way for me to get a lot of my design work presented in a neat and professional manor. As this is what I wanted to aim for I decided that It would be a good idea for me to purchase a few professional art books which I could read through and look at for reference and inspiration for when I am in the design process of making my own. 

There were actually quite few art books that I have had my eye on for a little while now but as the list is pretty long and I am a little strapped for cash being a student I decided that I would be easier for my just to go for my top three. All of three of these art books I choose were from 3D animated movies that I had absolutely loved both the plot and design aspects for and was keen to see more of the companies development work. Two of these books were about 'Walt Disney Animation Studios' produced movies called 'Wreck it Ralph' and 'Frozen' where as the other was about a film from 'Dreamworks Animation' called 'Rise of the guardians'.



The purchased art books  


Each of these art books are incredibly detailed with their thought and design process, showing the reader step by step processes of how they character and designs you love came to be and what ideas were scrapped along the way. I am really looking forward to reading all of these art books and looking at all the design work that went into each of these films as I think It will help me work out how much I need to add to my own mini art book and will also help me with layout options and the writing I should include. Obviously my own work won't be on the same kind of scale as these but they are still good to use for my inspiration and just looking at the awesome environment and character art designs. I will be writing a blog post later about what I have learned from these art books and what I will be using for inspiration but I don't think I will be able to add any visual references due to copyright with these books and I don't want to risk scanning in and posting any of the art book pages online but I will see what I will be able to do nearer the time. But either way I have posted photos of the books covers down below in better quality. 






No comments:

Post a Comment