Monday 19 October 2015

Continuing with the 'Orrery' mini brief

Figuring out what I want to do for my final design 


So after I had done a little research into what a Orrery actually was and had created a single mood board for visual reference and inspiration I decided I needed to start getting some sketches down of possible designs I could create for this mini brief. I quickly pulled up a blank Photoshop page, as I wanted to continue my practice with working with this programme in order to try and improve, and started to roughly start sketching out some ideas. These sketches took me under an hour to produce so I am very slowly getting better at speeding up how quickly I draw I just need to keep practising to get even faster and learn not to spend so long making everything look so clean.

I tried to get as much variety in these rough designs as I could, whilst still sticking with the brief, to make sure I had a good mixture of ideas to go off of and didn't stick with simply just designing a orrery itself. I quite determined that I wouldn't make a character design out of this brief and was going to try to do a object instead so I tried to incorporate the typical design of a orrery into into different objects. I sketches I produced in Photoshop can be seen in the image below.




Although I was quite pleased with how all of these sketches came out as I was able to produce them fairly quickly there wasn't really any of them that were jumping out at me as one I will like to paint for my final piece. I think although they were a mixture of different designs they were all quite typical and didn't really stand out as something more unique. This was a little frustrating as I really didn't want to get caught in the design part of this mini brief for too long as I had lots of other work to be done for my research report and studio work and didn't really have time to waste. But luckily a conversation I had with my friends, which was related to our project, was able to help me spark an I idea for a design of a orrery I could produce.  



My orrery design idea

A few of my classmates and I whilst thinking about our orrery brief were discussing the fact of how it is interesting that human beings now know more about space than they do about what's at the bottom of the ocean. It was mulling over this fact that allowed me to come up with an idea for my orrery design that I actually really liked. What if I swapped out the concept of using planets in an orrery and instead used deep sea creatures, like fish and large sea dwelling mammals? I thought this would be a really nice unique twist on the orrery brief that still sticks to its very vague guidelines. I then, focusing on this topic, started to think about how this could work as a design. I had a few brief concepts that were a little average but then I thought up a design idea that I thought could work quite nicely.

This design would consist of a large central column in the middle the machine that will be a coloured gradient of the shade blue, with light at the top and dark at the bottom to signify the ocean. They, around this column will be bands of different heights and on each band will be one sea creature. These sea creatures will be placed in order of height based on which depth in the ocean they can be found. This was just a really basic first design concept but I thought it could work really nicely.

As this was the idea that I was now completely set on designing as I thought it would be a good idea to do some brief image research into the topic to make sure this concept was doable. Unfortunately the large amount of images I found related to the topic of depths of creatures in the ocean were all very poor and looked like something out of a child's text book. The ones that I have put below are the best images I could find out of a very limited bunch and hopefully will designs as I need to get my information right when it comes to were each creature needs to go in order of height. Now that I have some very basic image research to help fuel my design idea and help me with drawing out my orrery concept I am now able to move onto getting some more solid drawing work done for this mini brief and then  can hopefully make a start on my model sheet and final piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment