Saturday 17 October 2015

The second mini brief

'Orrery' 


A few days after we completed our Insect mini brief and had a little resting period our tutors gave us a new project for us to be working on along side our studio work and research report. Similar to that of the Insect project we were only given one word to go on, nothing else. No specifications, no further details, just the word 'Orrery'. At first I had absolutely no clue what a orrery was but I thought I had heard the word before so I did have to have a little look on Google to see what we were being asked to design. Although I may have been a little confused to begin with as soon as I saw photographs of an Orrery I knew exactly what it was but I did think it was a little bit of a bizarre object for us to be asked to design. But even so it helps with our technical drawing and working with being asked to create something that we wouldn't have even dreamed of working on previously so it does have it plus sides. 

I decided that after having a look at some different images of orreries that I should compile the designs that I liked into a mood board so that I would have all my chosen images together to look at for references and inspiration when it comes to creating my own orrery. The mood board I made can be seen in the image below. 






I decided before I jumped straight into sketching some idea I should have a read up on the definition of a orrery to make sure that my design sticks to the 'brief' as it were and that I don't create something that doesn't relate. A paragraph taken from the wikipedia page on orreries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrery) says that 'An orrery is a mechanical model of the solar system that illustrates or predicts the relative positions and motions of the planets and moons, usually according to the heliocentric model. It may also represent the relative sizes of these bodies; but since accurate scaling is often not practical due to the actual large ratio differences, a subdued approximation may be used instead.'

Although this may be the definition of a orrery, our set 'brief' didn't specify what exactly we had to produce by the set deadling. We could end up making a character design based around a orrery if we really wanted to, it is completely up to us. So baring this in mind now what I need to get some sketch ideas down to try and come up with a final concept using the mood board I made as a reference.  


No comments:

Post a Comment