Tuesday 18 February 2014

Contextual Studies Research

Websites

For my contextual studies project I decided to look into the role of a concept artist in the gaming industry. This is mainly because when I first started my course here I had no clue which route I wanted to go down to find a job in the future but after completing my projects I realised the 2D designing definitely is my strong point and I find it a lot more interesting than 3D modelling.
But even with this is mind I actually didn't know that a lot about what a concept artists job was so I needed to do chunk of research to get at understanding of what I was looking into.

These are a few of the websites I read through just to get a basic understanding of what an concept artists job was exactly.


 
 
 

 
After looking through these I realised that the job is actually quite varied depending which company you go into so I decided to make this the theme of my essay, looking into the different roles and responsibilities of a concept artist. Whilst continuing my research I found two interviews which I liked the look off and took quotes from to use in my essay.
 

 
 
Books
 
I then started to read through the books I had at home, looking for more quotations and information I could use to plan out my essay as I didn't want to get all my sources from the internet. I stumbled across a quote about 2D and 3D concept art which I liked and thought I could use it to help break up my essay a little. It was from the book 'How to become a video game artist. The insiders guide to landing a job in the gaming world' by Sam R. Kennedy. It had some other really useful information in it about the gaming industry in general so I would recommend it to any other Game At and Design students.
The second  book I looked at is 'The art of Alice Madness Returns' with a introduction by American McGee. Alice madness returns is my favourite video game I just had to purchase the concept art book as I fell in love with the art style and concepts as soon as I started playing it. I knew that I would want to include a section about 'Spicy Horse', the company that produced this game so I read the introduction to see what I could find. There is a lovely section on the artists and how they were introduced to the game and from the sound of it is seems that 'Spicy Horse' would be a great company to work for and is now somewhere I am considering applying to in the future.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment