Tuesday 18 February 2014

Contextual Studies Lectures

During the course of our project we were given the opportunity to attend three lectures to help us prepare and collect research for our essays. I found these extremely useful as it's always nice to hear information from people who are right in front of you instead of digging around on the internet.


Split Path Studios

Our first talk was from the group 'Split Path Studios' who are a small independent (indie) game company still attending Norwich University of the Arts and are in the middle of producing their first game. I had no idea how a indie company worked and until I went to this lecture, for some reason I believed that everybody worked together to create the concepts and animations and programming but what I didn't know is that the group is actually split up and different people are assigned roles that cover a lot of key areas in the game creation process. This is information I really wanted to put into my essay as it would help show the work load that a concept artist has to complete working in a smaller company. Also an Indie company is where I could essentially end up working in the near future so I got down lots of notes on the advice they gave us.


Lothar Zhou

Our second lecture was from one of my teachers who works at the University. Lothar has had a lot of experience in the gaming industry and his knowledge and advice was really good to hear as it would help prepare me for my possible career in the gaming industry. Lothar told as about his experiences at the many different companies he worked for as he progressed as an artist and how this helped mould and shape him as an artist and a person. It was really interesting to hear what he had to say about the difference of working in a bigger company compared to a smaller one and also companies from abroad in which Lothar said he has the best experience working at.


Chris Goodswen

Our last lecture was given by an Character artist working in the large gaming company 'Crytek' which is also where Lothar spent some time working at. I learnt from this lecture that there is a big different from a character artist and the concept artists at 'Crytek' which I didn't know before and just assumed they were the same thing. This also helped me learn about how many different roles there are in a bigger companies compared to smaller ones where one person would take on a multitude of responsibilities, which gave me the opportunity to do a little comparison work in my essay between 'Crytek and 'Split Path Studios'. Chris's also spoke about the industry and gave us a lot of advice for the future which I wrote down. I was going to upload all my notes I took during all three lectures but I wasn't sure if any of the information I wrote down could be shown on the internet due to the topics covered, Chris's lecture in particular so I decided to leave them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment