Tuesday 29 December 2015

Finishing the fourth brief

Coming up with a articulated prosthetic leg design


Once I had finished my Japanese inspired tree house model sheet I got straight onto finishing off my articulated prosthetic design for our final mini brief. I had previously already made a mood board of both sci-fi and realistic prosthetics a little while ago so I had a look over my collected images for a little inspiration before I started designing anything. I had already decided that I wanted to go with designing a leg, just because I wanted to, and so I drew myself out a base silhouette of a leg on Photoshop that I could easily draw over and erase to create an articulated prosthetic design. This was actually quite fun to do as I had a good collection of images to look at for inspiration and I just started chopping and changing the base leg in order to get a few designs. I am really pleased with how they turned out and I think using a grey scale colour scheme made them look quite neat and professional. My finished leg prosthetic designs can be seen in the image below.




So after I had got my four designs done I sent the image above to a few of my fellow peers and also showed it to my family members to get their verdict on which prosthetic leg design they liked the most. Overall number three was the most popular as people said it stood out the most amongst the others and looked interesting so I decided to go with their verdict and pick this design for my final. For our final piece it was specified that we did not mention in anyway how the articulated prosthetic worked, it just needed to be a piece that explains itself and this was something I was a little perplexed about how I was going to achieve this. It took me a little while to come up with the layout that I created for my final piece as I was struggling to try and think of a way of displaying my design but I think what I choose was a good decision as it helped to explain how my prosthetic leg worked in a simplistic way. My final piece can be seen in the image below.




I wanted to keep my final piece simplistic and have as much focus on the prosthetic limb as possible but in a way that actually had some more going on in the image instead of just have the leg there and nothing else. So I decided to make my final piece look like a poster advertising the the prosthetic so that it had a little more context and something else to it which I think ended up looking quite effective. I also kept with the grey scale theme for my design as I think it just made my final piece look more neat and futuristic looking. I am really quite pleased with the final image as I think it came together nicely and ended up looking almost professional in a sense, It was a good end to all the mini briefs.



No comments:

Post a Comment