Monday 7 December 2015

The possibility of creating environment art

Looking at visual examples of different Candylands



So now that I know what kind of video game I want my candy based characters to appear in, which is a side view 3D fighting game, I thought it might be a nice idea to have a think about what the game levels may actually look. Although I am focusing on character concept art and I haven't one hundred percent decided weather or not I am going to actually produce any environment art for my art book or not, there is still a possibility that I may do some rough level designs later on so I thought I should do a little image research now just to get the ball rolling and, seeing as I have envisioned the video game levels to take place in some sort of candyland, this image research could also help me with my colour scheming and the art style for my characters too.

I have thought about the different possible levels that I could create with the theme of sweet food and I thought it would be nice idea, if I did do some environment art, that it would mostly consist of foods such as cake, biscuits, ice cream and different types of candies so that my character wouldn't get too lost in the background and it would add some visual variety to the game. So I set about gathering some image research of different types of 'candylands' as I knew that these would be good visual representations of the type of thing I would be aiming for in my environment art and would also allow me to see the types of colour schemes that were used for this type of environment. I found bits of pieces from photography to concept art and popped it all in the mood board below.






So apart from making me incredibly hungry this mood board has some really nice visual inspirations I can use for design references later on in the creative process. Most of the colours used in these images are very bright and bold so if I did create some environment art I may have to tone down the saturation a bit to allow the characters to be the centre of attention. As well as making the image reference mood board I also decided to have a look at some videos that featured specific 'Candylands' that I already knew of such as the candy room in 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' and the video game Sugar Rush found in 'Wreck it Ralph'  just for a little more creative influence. I have popped all of these clips below so that I can refer back to them in the future if I do decided to create a level design after all. But now that I have done a little possible level design research and can now move on and continue working on my concept art work and developing the design document.










No comments:

Post a Comment