Thursday 17 April 2014

Beginning my 3D modelling

Having to start over

I first started modelling the main part of my castle a few days before breaking up for the Easter break. I was getting to grips with the different techniques we had been taught during our group lectures and i was finding the process fairly simple once I had practiced it a few times. Once I was pleased with how my 3D model looked I decided to go in a start UV mapping it. This is were I ran into problems.

The first issue that I faced was that I had created the main structure of the castle building as a whole, making the UV map very complex due to the support beam or 'legs' at the bottom and at this stage of the process I was confused about UV mapping and didn't even know how to approach this problem which left me feeling quite anxious about my work and worried that I wouldn't be able to complete anything due to my lack of experience in this field. I had also made a similar mistake with the 'bubble' windows on the castle, as I had created them as sphere and I wasn't sure how to map these either I had come to a bit of a stand still.




 


Solving the Issue

After a few days of feeling very anxious about my work and how It was going to progress with such a small knowledge and understanding of what we were supposed to do, I decided it was time to take action. I sent a email to my tutor Lothar, explaining my situation and how I felt, asking whether he would be able to give my some advice and help with my project. He was very understanding and we soon scheduled a meeting where we could go through the areas I was finding difficult.

This was a huge help to me as before I went in I didn't know how to even begin my UV mapping but as soon as I had someone who was sitting with me, one on one and explaining everything slowly and in detail It all finally started to sink in. I made sure to take plenty of notes, as I have been doing in all my lessons as I think they are extremely important to help me progress or if I ever get stuck in the future I can refer back to them. With this session under my belt and my confidence in 3D modelling partially restored I set about practicing some UV mapping to help keep all the information Lothar had told me so it was fresh in my brain.

After this I had a second meeting, this time with a fellow student of mine. We sat down and went through my castle design and how I would be able to create it without making the UV Mapping very complex. This was extremely helpful as I am now able to create my castle with ease and without having to worry about how I will approach the UV maps. Also another student showed me this video which was very useful as a step by step guide.





No comments:

Post a Comment