Saturday 19 April 2014

Life Drawing

Creating a hybrid

In my most recent life drawing session we were asked to meet at Norwich Castle as we would be looking around the exhibitions inside and using them for reference when drawing. I was looking forward to this as I have enjoyed our previous visits there as there is always something new to look at. This time we were asked to look around the taxidermy exhibition as we would be drawing a few of the animals but with a twist to them. We were asked to pick two creatures, draw each of them and then combine them to create a hybrid, a new kind of animal.

I decided to choose two different species and genus to get a more creative result so I decided to choose a mammal, which was a desert kangaroo and a bird, which was a peacock to get a good creative result. Overall I think it worked really nicely and I was able to create the beginnings of a interesting looking creature that I could see either in a fantasy environment or the tertiary period of evolution. This was a great exercise and process for creating a creature and I would definitely use it again.








Outside Drawing

For our outside drawing trip with Will, we visited Norwich Cathedral which is always something I enjoy doing as the scenery and the architecture is so beautiful there. We were all told that we would be practicing perspective in our drawings and were asked to start of with the basic lines and shapes before adding in any detail to out pieces, which is a important for quick drawing work and was a skill we have to practice. I managed to find a spot which had varied buildings in it and started working from there and I did find this a little tricky as I hate timed drawing or drawing under pressure, I like to take my time with things if I can afford to so speeding up my art work is something I need to work on as I didn't' come anywhere near finishing my piece this time.

After doing a little bit of drawing and building up my scene very slowly, we were asked by Will to add a fantasy element to our scene to change it into something eye catching and different. This is an exercise I really enjoyed doing as I loved thinking up scenes like this. As we were near a lot of plant and tree's I thought it would be a cool idea to adapt them into flesh munching plants, the Norwich Falcon better watch out!





No comments:

Post a Comment