Wednesday 18 February 2015

The final part of the art test

Creating the promo art piece


After completing as many pixel character re designs that I could manage to do in the time given I knew it was time that I started focusing on the second part of the studio given art test. This part of the art test is essentially the main focus of what we have to do for the brief and that is to create a piece of promo art that could be used for the game Starbound. Unfortunately I am not able to post any of the promo art that was sent to us by the games company Chucklefish as it is all confidential art work and information so it is safer for me not to mention too much about it. Essentially we just had to create a final piece that could be found on either a visual advertisement or poster.   

Now for this piece I was planning to complete a detailed digitally painted piece with new background concepts and also re drawings on the designs I had created earlier in the project so that they would fit into the scene. Unfortunately due to me running out of time to work on different concept and layouts from my promo art, as well as creating the piece I had to cut down on a lot of the design ideas that I had in mind and go for something simpler. I knew it would be easier with the time constraints I had on me to just re use the characters I had drawn previously as they were all fully coloured and could work in a piece if I placed from properly. I had a peak at the original art work and noticed and title screens of the games and I noticed that a look of it is usually a star filled sky or galaxy as the background with a image in front and the text which is simple but works really effectively. 

I decided to use this theme as the basis of my promo art piece and found a good and clear background image which I could use in my composition. After this I was able to add all the different elements together in Photoshop and tweak bits and pieces here and there to try and get a good layout. The first image below it the piece of promo art I was able to create. Granted it is not incredibly impressive compared to what I could have created if I had more time but I am still quite pleased with it as it looks neat and I think the colours work well. Below this image is a second piece of promo art that I created as a just a little test really to see what a longer image piece would look like if it was for a poster design or something like that.  





Final piece 





Extra design





No comments:

Post a Comment