Sunday 28 February 2016

Developing my characters a little further

Thinking of potential names 



Now that I have been starting to focus more on the design of my candy based characters I thought a good thing to do would be to have a little review of the ideas I had had in BA3a about what I was planning to do character wise and how my ideas have progressed. So all my different characters are based off a type of sweet, almost like personifications of them if you like, and I have been shaping their individual personalities with what I personally believe a living representation of the candies I have chosen would be like which has been a lot of fun to do. Overall, in my head I have been able to visual my characters pretty well so far so now that I have thought about them I just need to start implementing that into my design work really. I have popped a little reminder of what I had been planning for my characters in BA3A down below which is things like what their chosen sweet is, what their personality is like and the colour palette I had made for each of them using photographs of the chosen candy as reference. I have to say thinking of different candy inspired characters wasn't as easy as I thought it would be as there weren't as many workable options as I thought as I started to look a different types of sweets but I am pretty pleased with these finalised concepts so far.




Chocolate 
relaxed, smooth and calm


Bubblegum 
bubbly, friendly and positive


Liquorice 
moody, negative and quiet


Marshmallow 
soft, gentle and kind


Mint 
mart, neat and sensible


Popping Candy  
hyper, energetic and vocal


Sour lemon sweet 
bitter, rude and sour





Although I now have a very clear idea of what I want to try and make my characters all look like design wise, the one thing I have been struggling with a little bit is trying to think of their individual names. I already know that the game I want them featured in is called 'Pick & Mix' but as for the actual names of my characters I was stuck trying to come up with something for a little while. This is always a part of the design process that I kind of forget about and then when someone asks me what the character I have just drawn name is, I go blank but thankfully I was finally able to come up with something. I've decided that I might be a nice idea to incorporate existing names into the names of the sweets I have chosen for each of my characters so, for example, If I was designing a female character based off a lollipop I would call them Lolapop. I few other examples I had was, Bellascotch, Candicecane and Carymel. I just thought this might work well so I had a little brain storm and gave it a try and the finalised character names I came up with I have posted below in a font that helps represent their personality. Admittedly I couldn't think of a single thing that would work for Popping candy, it was really hard trying to incorporate a name into that and so, for now, he will be referred to as PC. I am pretty happy with these names as I think it suits what I have planned for my characters so now I just need to get on and draw them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment