Monday 22 February 2016

Working on my character designs

Thinking about body shape 



So as I am now completely stuck in a creative mood and have been for a good few weeks now, drawing little and pieces of fan art here and there I thought it would be a good idea to get cracking on drawing my candy based characters and put my personal work on hold for a bit. I thought a good place to start off would be by having a look back over the art style page I had made previously to see how I could further my art style choice. I also had another look at anime mood boards I made  previously and the mood boards I had made way back at the beginning of BA3a that were a collection of digital pieces and character designs that I really liked for a little bit of inspiration.

After looking these over, I had a pretty clear idea of what kind of art style I wanted to go for, which is cartoon/anime looking and I thought a good place to start the design process of my making my characters would be to try and get their anatomy and basic body shape down first.  I had a little go last term at drawing some different types of anatomy using shape theory which I had studied which turned out okay and It gave me a few examples of what I could possibly go for, however, I have had a strong idea from the beginning of how I want my characters to look proportionately. I had been   inspired, right a the beginning of my project, by the look of the characters in the Nintendo video game 'Splatoon' and I knew that, if I could, I would like to try and capture a similar look to what they had were the body is the smallest part of the character and their head, hands and feet and a little oversized. This is actually quite similar to the 'chibi' art style which can be found in anime so I thought this would be a good theme to go with. So whilst I had a look at the 'Splatoon' video game characters anatomy I also had a look at others that I thought were similar for some inspiration and I have popped them below.







Inklings from 'Splatoon' 




Playable characters from 'Disney Infinity' 





Vanellope and Taffyta from 'Wreck It Ralph' 




I really like all the body shapes from the characters above as they all have a similar feature where the head is over sized, making them look a lot more cartoonish and cute in a sense and this is certainly something I really want to capture in my own characters. So with some good example I could look at for inspiration I decided to have a go at drawing out the body type that I would like my characters to have. What I really liked about the 'Splatoon' characters is that they all have the same body type, obviously with little tweaks here and there to change the gender but overall, they are all identical and what is different is the accessories, hair and clothing and this is also a similar with theme with the 'Sugar Rush' characters in 'Wreck it Ralph'. The biggest visible differences are when it comes to the characters actual design and expression.

I really liked the idea of keeping sort of a set structure when it comes to the anatomy of my character and only changing little things when it comes to height or something as I thought it would allow me to focus more on expression, body language and clothing then focusing too much on body shape so I decided to give drawing something like this a go. You can see the body designs I have drawn and chosen to work with down below.






So I decided to keep these drawings pretty basic and didn't want to add anything like hair or clothing as it would detract for now at what I was trying to work on as I wanted the body shape to be the main focus, however, I did decided to add some expression to their faces to I could get an idea of what my characters may look like right now vaguely. I am pretty pleased with how these came out as this is the exact sort of look I was going for so I don't think I am going to tweak this body shape much unless I really need to later down the line. Since I had just drawn the proposed anatomy for my characters I also decided that I might be fun to quickly apply a few of my chosen characters colour schemes to the mix as well, just to test what potential colour on top would look and I have posted that image down below. The characters I tested were Bubblegum, Liquorice and Popping Candy. I think that now that I have come up with a body type that I am happy with the look of I can now move onto to doing some rougher sketches of my characters in the art style I have chosen and make changes along the way is necessary.





No comments:

Post a Comment