Wednesday 22 April 2015

Thinking about what i will be working on

Picking out 3 possible futures of mankind



After having a long discussion about what I planned to do for my BA6 project with my tutor Nigel I started to think about narrowing down my ideas of what I wanted to do for a final outcome. There one thing that he really pushed in our talk together and that was that I shouldn't do as much research as I had been planing to otherwise it would turn out like BA5 where I didn't have enough time to complete the design side of my work as I had been too busy doing my research earlier on in the project. I was orignally planning to look into each of the 10 future situations that were covered in the 'End of the world night' programme but I was warned by Nigel that that was far too much and I should limit myself to how much I do.

So baring this idea in mind I starting to think about my work load and what I was planning to produce at the end of the project. I came to the conclusion that the best thing for me to do was to pick 3 out of the 10 future situations to create character designs and a back story for. This way I  will have a variety of work which will be manageable to produce and will cut back and the amount of further research I would of been doing. Out of the ten different future situations that were spoken about in the televison programme I have chose to pick three that were nearer the top of the probability scale due to the fact that I will be able to produce some less far fetched ideas and each topic will have a lot more meaning as they are far more likely to happen to mankind in the future. The three I am choosing to do are:


 Climate change, Natural pandemics and Artificial Intelligence. 


There were a few situations that were further up and higher on the list of probability that I choose not to focus on which were 'Zombies' and 'Nuclear war'. I didn't want to pick Zombies as it is such a popular and predictable one to choose and I feel like a lot more designs would just become average and unimaginative. As for Nuclear war, even though it is the highest rated probability for the future, which the impact if created there is a high possibility that there would be no human life left at all so that doesn't leave me with a lot design options. Overall I think the three that I have chosen will give me lots of different character design ideas and will be able to write a good back story if I need to about each event and how the people of earth have been surviving through it.

The plan now is for me to do a few rough idea sketches along side bits of research so I am able to build each of them up bit by bit and to make sure that I start my design work early on instead if leaving it as the last thing to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment