Thursday 16 April 2015

Starting with the basics

Videos focusing on the future of the human race 



After watching 'End of the world night' I felt like I had collected a large amount of information, details and facts on the topic I wanted to focus on for this project but I did feel like that wasn't enough research for me to be able to use to get some solid design ideas. So what I needed to do next was to start off at the beginning with my research on this topic so I can go over each area in enough detail so that I understand it a little better. 

I decided to begin my further research into the inevitable end of mankind by starting with a looking into brief generalisation of the subject, trying to find information that doesn't just focus on one subject like nuclear war or pandemics, I wanted to get some more facts about the subject in general. Seeing as last time I was able to get a learn a lot about the future mankind by watching a television programme and I usually find that I learn things easier if it is showed via a video instead of just reading off a screen, I decided to have a little browse on YouTube to see if their were any videos on this certain topic. Luckily as this is an ever developing and constantly current topic there were plenty of different videos for me to have a look at. 

Unfortunately not all of the videos I watched were as good as each other and obviously weren't all on a professional level. Some of the ones that I did find with a lot relevant information in I have posted below so that I am able to refer back to them in the future. The most interesting videos I found on the generalisation of the future of mankind featured The American futurist, theoretical physicist and popularizer of science, Michio Kaku. Kaku is a Professor of Theoretical Physics at the City College of New York and has been awared a 'Klopsteg Memorial Award' in 2008 for his studies into the future of humanity. He has also written three 'New York Times Best Sellers' based on this topic which are 'Physics of the Impossible' (2008), Physics of the Future' (2011) and The Future of the Mind' (2014).  He is a scientist who as dedicated a large amount of his life to studying this topic and that clearly came across in the videos I watched of him. He had some very interesting theories and points to make in each one which has helped me think about which 'future circumstances' do I want to make designs for? I can't pick all of them as that will take far to long. 

There are also a lot more talks and articles that Kaku has produced will I will be able to watch later on in this project if I still need inspiration. 













No comments:

Post a Comment