Saturday 18 April 2015

Getting feedback on BA5

Meeting with Rosie and Fin from Chucklefish games 





Recently I was sent a email by our course tutor asking if I would be able to take part in a special session that the university was providing to a only a select few people on our course who completed the Chucklefish promo art project previously for BA5. It told us that we would be meeting two of the people who work at the games company and helped to produce the game 'Starbound', Rosie and Fin. This was session would allow us to meet them personally, ask them any questions we had about the industry and to receive both of their feedback on the work we had produced so it was a fantastic opportunity for everyone who was asked to attend. Although I didn't exactly have a very positive experience with my previous project and was particularly pleased with the work I had produced, I was really excited to have been asked to come to this meeting and be able to get some professional feedback from people who are actually in the industry currently.

The session was absolutely fantastic! It took place yesterday in the afternoon and there were a good bunch of us who were asked to join, all of nervous as each other having to professional game creators commenting on our art work but we were all worried for nothing, Rosie and Fin were both really lovely people, very relaxed and easy to talk to which instantly made me feel more relaxed about confident about presenting my work to them. The session started with them introducing themselves to class, explaining who they are and what role they played within their company as well as briefly discussing previous work they have completed in the past. They both had a lot of experience and obviously worked incredibly hard to be where they are right now which was very impressive to see. Rosie especially interested me as she had previously worked for Disney and she spoke about the difference between working at the corporation, what the work load was like and what was expected of you compared to what it is like working at a small indie company like Chucklefish. Obviously Disney is a company I would love to work at so finding out about what is was like for her working there was really interesting, a little daunting and scary, but that still hasn't put me off.

After their introductions they went round the room and spent a good 10-15 minutes each speaking to each student about the work they had produced for BA5 which was brilliant as we were all able to get a large amount of feedback from them and be able to talk to them on a more personal level which was lovely. When It came round to my turn admittedly I was still a little nervous about having to show them my work as I wasn't too pleased with how little I was able to produce but I really had nothing to worry about. The work I showed them pair of them is shown in the image below.




Both Rosie and Fin were very positive about the work I had produced for BA5 and didn't point out a single negative thing which was really nice to hear. They explained which parts of my final designs that they liked, things such as how neat my line art was and my use of colours. They mentioned that I had captured each of the races likeness to how they had envisioned them really well via their body language, expression and clothing which they seemed pretty pleased with. Rosie also mentioned that they way I did my characters, so that they were full bodied with a plain background, was the sort of thing that Disney asked their artists to do so that they can re use a design again and again in different pieces of production like putting it on a variety of different posters or packing of merchandise, ect. 

So overall I received some really good feedback about the work I had produced and learnt some important tips and facts about the industry so, when the session was over, I left feeling a new burst of confidence and pride in my artwork and it made me just want to just go home and keep on working on BA6. It gave me a huge motivation boost just speaking to Rosie and Fin so I really thank them for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment