Tuesday 28 April 2015

Focusing on my art style

Experimenting with photoshop 



For this project I will be creating a fair amount of design work for my character concept art pieces which means that I will have to use a lot of mixed media technique in order to produce good quality work. Usually I have a very specific art style with consist of cartoony unrealistic drawings which I first complete in pencil and then scan into my computer in order to outline and colour it using software called Manga Studio. Now although I am comfortable with using this programme I have recently become more aware that If I want to think about being in he industry I will have to drop using Manga Studio and focus my attention of a art programme which all the big and small games companies use with is Photoshop. Unfortunately I am not very experienced with this programme and haven't used it that much in the past so I knew that as a goal for this project I must use Photoshop to complete all my pieces of art so that I am able to get use to the software and hopefully continue to use and improve from it.  

So I knew that I wanted to use a more realistic art style for BA6 so I thought I'd better just quickly sketch down something similar to how I want my characters to look and then I could have a starting point to work from. The drawing below is my final pencil drawn result of a semi realistic female face which I completed in class and, as I liked how it looked, I decided to take it into Photoshop and colour it as a little big of a warm up practice. I am going to start by saying that digital painting is very bizarre and difficult for me as I am always so used to drawing with a thick outline to my designs so, after many attempts of trying to colour in the face with no lines what so ever I quickly went back to what I was comfortable with and ended up with the second image below. Although I am fairly pleased with how it turned out I know that I still have a very very long way to go when it comes to Photoshop and hopefully, as I am using it throughout this whole project, I will be able to improve by the end of it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment