Monday 11 November 2013

Quick sketches and the value/colour studies





 

 
 
These are the 4 quick sketches I completed. I knew that my era wouldn't have a lot of image references as to what it might have looked like but I decided to look into different environments were tribes could have settled. This mainly features mountainous area with nearby water source or ground with fertile soil to grow crops.
 
As I find environments difficult and have never attempted to draw any before I really depended on my image reference. So I used the basic layout of the environment and then added objects to make the landscape seem inhabited.
 
 
 
 





I then started working on my value studies working on basic shadowing on the landscape. I didn't want to add a lot of details as many of the landscape were quite desolate and plain and also this way I am able to see where the colours need to go and how dark they need to be. The three top images are based in the day time but for the last one I wanted to work on night-time scene were the fire was the only source of light.









After finishing the value studies I moved on completed the colour. I quickly put which colour I wanted each object to be which has really helped me picture how my two final pieces are going to look. My personal favourite is the second down from the top, I was going for a autumn theme as I thought it would be nice to show a iron age environment that had splashes of prominent colours instead of dull greens and browns.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment