Friday 25 September 2015

The beginning of the studio work project

Still stuck in the idea generation stage


We are now in the stage of BA7a where we should have a good concept of what our project is going to be for our Studio Work this year but unfortunately right now I am really struggling to think of anything. As this is such a huge project that spans over the course of a year I need to make sure I am picking something that I will be interested in enough to really want to work on each and every day, as well put a lot of effort into, and something that is going to make a fantastic final piece of work. But baring all of this in mind there is just nothing that I can think of that really springs out at me as a fantastic idea.

As I am really struggling for ideas I decided to speak to my Tutor Nigel in our most recent group session so that I could get a little feedback from him and see if he had any ideas that might steer me in the right direction. We had a little chat about where about my work was up to now and what had a look at what I had done over the summer. I showed him my experimentation work I did in Photoshop and the painting of 'Disgust' I was working on which he was really pleased with. He then suggested that I should stick with the same art style I used in my 'Disgust' piece and continuing creating work in that style for my studio project as he believed it looked really simple and effective and would create a good results.

Once we had the ideal art style idea sorted, we then both then had a bit of a brain storm about how this style could form into a theme and what this possible theme could be. The list below is of the ideas we were able to come up with in class.


Possible Ideas 
  • Vector art - 'Flat Art', 'Tokidoki', Mika's music video 'Lollipop' 
  • Re drawing 3D games as 2D games 
  • Focusing on how colour schemes can give a character a certain mood and feeling 
  • create an art book of character concept art and promo art 
  • choose 3 random ideas and design characters based off of each idea. 


After throwing some possible concepts around for a little while I felt like I had enough ideas to get me started and to try and help me refine what my possible studio work project could be. I decided it would be a good idea to look at some image research relating to these proposed ideas so that I could try and piece things together and see if I liked the result. I have posted some of the image I looked at below.



Flat art 



Mika's music video for his song 'Lollipop'



Tokidoki



A page from the 'Tangled' art book



An example of character colour coding 



Out of all the possible ideas I looked at only a couple seemed to shine through to me as ones I would actually be interested in working on. One of these was the concept of looking at how using a certain colour for character can give them a particular feel and mood. I reason I have taken a liking to this idea is because I really like character designs that are very expression and portray great emotion and colour and I this is something that I always try and incorporate into my own work. I believe that if it is a personal like of mine and a goal I want to achieve in my own designs then it will be something I will be motivated to work on.  As well as this concept I really liked the idea of creating my own art book. I have a collection of film and game art books at home, which is still growing, as I love seeing the development process that the environments, props, characters and story have gone through to get to the final result. I think making an art book will allow me to produce some really great iteration work as well as final designs that I will be be able to produce in a neat and professional looking manor so I am really keen on this idea. 

Although I have two ideas that I can now combine to make one final product I am still completely lost on what my actual theme of my character designs is going to be. This means now I will need to go off and do some further research into my chosen ideas to try and see if I can come up with a meaningful theme that I am going to look forward to produce and put a lot of effort into. 


No comments:

Post a Comment