Thursday 26 March 2015

Looking at more character designs

Focusing on existing game characters 


After doing some image research into different 2D character designs of different art styles and mediums I thought it would also be important for me to do a little research into different characters from video games. As what I am designing later on in the creative process would, theoretically be used in a video game which could be made up of 3D animation, depending on which route I choose to go down, it is important to keep this aspect in mind when I am creating my designs so I don't end up with flat designs. So baring this in mind and had a little think about the different games I have played previously and to try and pick out which characters stood out the most to me and stuck in my brain either design and personality wise.

There were a few characters in particular that I had really liked from different games I have played in the past and a few of them can be seen in the images below. Each one of these characters interested me in different ways as they all had their own merits and individual personalities mixed in with a deep and detailed plot. I always seem to find that in a many different mediums, it is always the characters that are the part I focus on or like the most, whether it is a TV or film, or book and this was certainly the case with the characters I have picked out below as they really made the game exciting to play in my personal opinion. For example one of the main reasons I enjoyed playing 'Alice Madness returns' so much is because the main character, Alice Liddell has such a bizarre twisted personality with a back story that was a mystery to the player at the beginning but, as you progressed through the game, you would unlock parts of her story to reveal what happened to Alice in her past. This was a key part of the gameplay that motivated me to keep progressing level by level as I was curious to find out what had happened to Alice to caused her to become this twisted and sour little girl. All of this was simply based off of the fact the she was a interesting character.

It is a well known that a powerful character design can really make a game and build some ones interest to want to play it. This is something I must bare in mind when I get into the creative side of my project and start producing my character designs. I must also remember that supporting characters, may not be AS important as the main protagonist, but they still play a crucial role in adding to the game's story and feel.





Connor Davenport from 'Assassins Creed 3'



Alice Liddell from 'Alice Madness Returns'



Lee Everett from 'The Walking Dead'



Lara Croft from 'Tomb Raider'



Morrigan from 'Dragon Age'



No comments:

Post a Comment