Tuesday 17 March 2015

Focusing on the project brief

What I am thinking about doing for BA6



Today was the second instalment in our introductory lectures to BA6. We weren't really told any extra information on the project itself, it was more of a group discussion were we went round the room and each person was able to explain to the class what their idea was and get feedback from classmates of our tutor Nigel. Unfortunately when they got round to me, like a few other members of the class, I still had no clue what my concept was going to be so I wasn't really able to discuss anything with my peers. Once we had been round the room we were given a little free time to work on whatever we had though up so far and get Nigel's individual help if it was needed. This allowed me to have some time to brainstorm what I could possibly do for 2D character art. 

I remembered from our first lecture Nigel mentioning that we can include a theme to our work which would help give our project meaning right off of the bat, some of the ones mentioned I believe were things alone the line of global warming, sexism, abuse, emotions, ect. These are just random topics that would could use a starting point and then expand from there as Nigel said if you game doesn't have meaning from the beginning, you are pretty much destined to failed this unit. Baring this in mind I started to have a little think about what my concept for BA6 could possibly be.

After a mental brainstorm and scrolling through a few pages on 
Google, I came to the conclusion that my project would be focused around the ‘the future of humanity’. The future is something people are constantly thinking or fretting about and this is simply because no one really knows what is going to happen. We can only predict the events that will occur in many years to come but until we get to that point it time it will only be speculation. These speculations of the future are thoughts that people have everyday of their lives, whether it is something small and petty such as thinking about what they are going to have for dinner tomorrow, or predictions that are on a much larger scale and effect a far wider range of people, such as what will come on humanity in the future if an epidemic breaks out and kills hundreds of thousands of people? There are many different growing issues that face the human race at this current place and time which could very easily spiral out of control and end with a large amount of the Earth's population being wiped out. These complications are either repeats of past events such as a epidemic break out or a natural disaster such as tsunami, or they are a rapidly growing, overwhelming new issue such as the theory of global warming  or how the earth is going to be effected once our sun dies and transforms into a nuclear radiating ball white dwarf. So, what will happen to the humans when one of these future events take place?

What I would like to focus on is the how the humans of Earth are going to adapt to their new, possibly lethal and very advanced environment in the future. Each possible speculated event would affect them differently which means there are many different cosmetic or design changes that could happen to a human. This is an area that I would love to focus on as it holds a wide range of different possibilities for me to create an come up and I believe that it would be really interesting to envision the humans of the future in different situations. 

Now that I have my creative idea in mind it is up to me to think of what work I would realistically like to produce by the end of the unit so that I have a clear goal to work towards through out the project and am less likely to change my mind part way through. Although I don't have a final idea set in stone of what I want to produce, I know it is going to revolve around creating 2D character art so this is my starting point. From here it would be wise of me to research into pre existing piece of 2D character concept art for inspiration and stylistic ideas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment