Wednesday 23 March 2016

Playing around with design ideas

Creating another character sketch page 



Now that I have had a proper think about the look of my candy based characters and have created, as well as researched into, a initial idea of what their clothing is going to look like I thought it would be a good idea to just keep the ball rolling and just get on with doing some more design work. The few weeks I have left before my deadline are very quickly beginning to slip away and I am incredibly concious of this and so I know I need to crack on if I want to get everything I have planned done on time. So as this was the plan I decided to get to work on something that I have been wanting to draw for a little while now but haven't been able to as my ideas weren't solid enough but now that I have an art style down, I have been able to work on a character sketch page. This is simply a step up from the last character page I did as this time instead of just faces, this page contains a few drawings of my chosen characters looking more expressive and actually performing a few actions as well as wearing a possible outfit designs.

As much as I made this is a page to show the progression of my design ideas, I also just wanted to draw all of my candy characters together as I am actually super passionate about these designs and I am really fond of them so drawing each of my characters one by one was a lot of fun for me. I wanted to create some work that just captured ALL of my characters personalities in one place before I have to pick and choose which designs I want to take further and I think that it has turned out quite well. This originally started off as just a regular page of outlines but I felt like I couldn't just leave it like this as I am trying to focus on both expression and colour in this project and so It didn't feel right to leave the canvas simply black and white so I decided to add some colour to my designs. I used each of my characters basic colour palettes which I created back in BA3A for reference on what colours I should be using, as well as actual photographs of what the sweets they are based on look like and I just went from there. Some of my characters stick very close to colour palettes I made and others I tweaked until I was satisfied with how they looked because some of the colour combinations just didn't work or didn't portray their chosen sweet well enough. I am actually really pleased with this page of sketches as I feel I have been able to capture how I wanted my characters to look pretty well and that I am now fairly confident to be able to move on and pick 2 or 3 characters that I want to design further.





All 7 of my original candy based characters



No comments:

Post a Comment