Wednesday 9 March 2016

Thinking about my characters clothing

Getting some style inspiration 



Now that i've spent some time figuring out what my chosen art style was going to be and drawing out some ideas of what my characters could look like I decided it was time to move onto the next step which is thinking about clothing. This is an area of the character design process I have honestly been a little stuck on, although have known pretty much from the start what I was aiming for with my characters appearance, what style of clothes they were going to be wearing changed every time I thought about it. All I have really been able to pin down is something colourful, cartoonish and a little over the top but with no particular style influences so far so I thought it would be a good idea to do some image research to see if I could solidify my ideas in anyway and come up with something that works well.

An similar example of what my characters clothes may look like would be the Japanese clothing style 'Harajuku' as it is usually bright, colourful, a little wacky and has a lot going. I have always loved this fashion trend as it is just so eye catching and different to the usually quite dull colour scheme and style that you usually see people wearing so I think this would work nicely as inspiration for my characters clothing. So essentially what I want to achieve is to create some clothing that is partially influenced by the creative style of Harajuku street fashions but with some candy looking elements incorporated to help portray each characters assigned sweet. Obviously I will also make sure whatever my characters are wearing will suit their personality so I wont, for example, have a character like Mintim who is smart and sensible wearing crazy clothing, he would wear something different like a waist coat and bow tie. I knew already of some different items of clothing that have been influenced by different types of candy as they were worn by the famous pop singer Katy Perry in her 'California dreams' tour. She had a look of different candy inspired outfits on her tour so I thought these would be good to look at for some visual inspiration and I have popped all the images I have looked at for clothing influence down below.









Doing a little design practice 


So after doing some image research into different clothing influences I was feeling really inspired to actually do a practice drawing of what one of my possible candy based outfits could look like. This would just be an initial design to get my ideas down instead of just floating about in my head and so I could see where to possibly develop it from there. I thought I was be a good idea for me to not design any clothing for any of the character I had thought up so far and to leave that until later when I do some more character development work and so for now I should just come up with a different design idea just to use as an example.  I though that the best type of candy to use for this visual example would be a lollipop as it is just so colourful and reminded me so much of some of the 'Harajuku' clothing styles I had looked at so I decided to use this sweet as my base and to try to draw an outfit based off of this sweet. So I have just popped down below a couple of images of lollipops that I used as influence for my initial clothing design so that I could focus on incorporating the right colours and shapes as well as my finished practice design. 









I tried to just have a little fun with this design and play around with the sort of look I am going for. I wanted it to be very colourful and not too realistic, so still keeping a cartoon like feel to it, as well as trying to incorporate a few candy based style flairs here and there to make sure the design was obviously based off of a lollipop. Honestly I could have played around with this for ages, just trying lots of different combinations but I didn't want to get too distracted as I knew I would be doing this sort of thing later on with my other official candy based characters and so I kept to just doing one simple outfit design. I think because the design was so colourful I didn't want to add too much detail to the actual outfit but overall It turned out pretty well and shows the sort of thing I aiming for clothing wise. So now that I have given this a test I can now move onto doing some more expressive character sketches and have a go at roughly drawing out some of their outfits and interactions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment