Wednesday 3 February 2016

Getting my groove back

Doing some personal art work 



This week I decided that I needed a little break from being in Norwich as I was staring to feel myself falling into a rut and I was really starting to feel quite homesick so I decided to travel back to Watford to spend some time at home. It was certainly worth me going home for a little while as whilst I was there I actually felt really motivated to get some art work done and I spent a large amount of my time sketching in my sketch book. This was fantastic and really uplifting for me as I felt like I had lost my groove for drawing at the beginning of the new term and was struggling to get any ideas down on paper which was really irritating me for quite some time but now I feel more confident again in what I am drawing and am keen to keep on producing working.

So whilst I was home, as well as doing some pencil sketches, I also did a couple of digital pieces too as I really wanted to practice with the use of simple cell shading in my character pieces as I was thinking about using it in my BA3b project so I wanted to try it out. I decided first to finish up a character piece that I had recently done which was just a simple out line and colour so I had a little go at popping some simple shading on the top to see how it would look and I was actually pleasantly surprised with how it turned out (The finished piece can be seen below). I thought maybe doing very simple shading would make the piece look plain and unprofessional but I actually really like the style it ending up making and, to be honest, I actually prefer how it looks to previous pieces I have done where I have used faded shading. I think this looks crisp, cartoony and suits my style more.






So with my enthusiasm in place to produce more cell shaded pieces of work and my current love for the pixel video game 'Undertale' in place I decided that I should have another little go at using simple shading to see if it still look effective in a different type of piece and to also produce some fan art of my favourite character 'Sans'. (The final piece can be seen below) So once again I used the method of creating my line art using Paintstorm Studio and then colouring my piece using Photoshop and, I have to say, I was really pleased with the piece I had produced. One, it took me way less time to do then my other art pieces have preciously. Two, I was able to get some proper mood lighting into my painting which is something I usually struggle with and three, overall I just really likes how it looks. I think I have found my new favourite type of digital painting for my art style and I am going to try and produce more pieces like this in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment